RenovationsRenovation Progress – Walls Are Gone! May 6, 2015Things are now moving super fast over at The Buffalo Bungalow! In case you’ve missed it, you can see our befores, our plans, and the previous posts about the new place here. The existing house has now been almost completely demo’ed! The screens and wood from the front porch have all been removed. The next step out here is to move the front door to the double window to the right and to fix the remaining siding and windows. Inside, all of the plaster has been removed. A lot of the plaster was in pretty bad shape and we were planning to re-wire the whole house, so we decided it was easiest to start from scratch. We left the plaster around the fireplaces and will tie the new sheet rock into it. You can now see through the whole house. It’s crazy! It has to get worse before it gets better! Like the bathroom… Lovely I know. The sub-floor was really damaged in here, so Chris has to rebuild the floor. We’ve started taking down the walls we need to remove for the new floor plan (here it is again below for your reference with the photos). This wall between the mudroom area and a bedroom has come down to make way for the new dining room. We still have to remove the closet to the left, but the dining table will sit up against this wall on the left. The door on the right will be the door to our master suite. This is the current view from what will be our new front door. We have to remove the brick column (this is where an old wood stove would’ve hooked up and it was closed up in the walls). We’ll also remove some of the studs. There will be a six foot opening here that will be the central hallway to the back of the house. This wall is load-bearing, so we have to insert a header beam and haven’t gotten to that just yet. It’s crazy seeing the new floor plan already taking shape! Chris has already closed up the cased opening between the current living room (new bedroom) and the entry. He’s framed out the two mirrored closets and the mudroom bench in between. My new closet is framed out to the right of the front door. Remember, the door will open on the exterior wall going into the new master bath. The new laundry will go here in front of my closet once we remove the brick column. It’s coming along! The permits for the addition is submitted and we were told that the wait time is four weeks. So hopefully, we’ll break ground on the new part in a month or so. The goal is to have everything picked out and designed so that we don’t experience any hold-ups in the new construction. We’re trying to keep the existing part of the renovation moving as quickly as possible so that all attention can be focused on the addition when it’s time. And if the addition were to not be finished by when we have to move in in August, we could move into the existing finished portion with two bedrooms and a bath. It wouldn’t be ideal, but we could make it work short-term if we had to. The plumber is coming this week to do the new laundry plumbing and the bathroom. The re-wiring is almost finished. The sheet rock will be done in another week or two! Tomorrow, I’m sharing my whole house design plan! I’m so excited to start sharing my vision for this new home.